Fundraising to support a Creative Quarter at Deptford Foundry

Deptford Foundry
1 year ago

100 Artists & Makers / 100 Pieces of Work / 100 Buyers

Second Floor Studios & Arts (SFSA) has launched a fundraiser, Three100 to help raise £250,000 to support 32,000 sq ft of 80 new artists’ studios at Anthology’s Deptford Foundry mixed use development. The no format Gallery part of the development in Deptford, will be hosting an exhibition of the pledged Three100 collection.

In April, Anthology and SFSA are inviting art enthusiasts to view the collection of art created and donated to the cause by London artists and markers. Pieces of art will be on display ready to buy and take away on the day. The gallery will be open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday (12-4pm) in April from Friday 14th with appointments available to book Monday to Thursday.

The Three100 fundraiser officially launched at Domus’ flagship show room on 22nd March and by the end of the night an impressive £25,000 was raised with each sale returning 25% to the artist or maker with the remaining 75% supporting the purchase of the new studios in Deptford. SFSA continues its call for help as they endeavour to raise the further amount required to get them over the line to help secure their future.

Like many other arts organisations operating in the capital, there are huge challenges when it comes to securing premises in London. Now in its 20th year, SFSA is now making the first step from tenant to owner-occupier.

Matthew Wood, Director of Second Floor Studios & Arts said: “It is now time to safeguard the future of SFSA with a strategic change resulting in SFSA owning property for use as permanent affordable studio space. The aim is to secure our own buildings so we are no longer under threat due to short-term leases with landlords considering more profitable uses of property assets. We want to create perpetuity in what we do, securing low-cost space for artists and makers now and for many generations to come therefore bolstering a resilient future for SFSA.”

This change has already begun with Second Floor Studios & Arts exchanging contracts to acquire the commercial property space at Anthology Deptford Foundry.

Mark Dickinson, Managing Director at Anthology said: “The Mayor of London’s study into artists’ workspace found that 3,500 artists in London are likely to lose their places of work in the next five years and with 35,000 graduates emerging from London’s Art & Design schools every year, demand for studio space is ever increasing across the city.

“We are really pleased to be creating this affordable employment space for SFSA at our Deptford Foundry development to help with this demand and for the talent of the future to use to support their works. We support the need for improved workspace across the capital. The need to provide adaptable workspace is ever growing for all sectors, in particular the creative arts industry.

“The Three100 that SFSA is hosting to help fund this studio space offers a really great collection of art which I’m sure will help them hit their target! Make sure you pop down to the no format gallery on Rolt Street (Arch 29) to check out the pieces and help support the cause.” 

SFSA will be fitting out the commercial space into 80+ purpose built ground and first floor studios, bringing creative sector employment space for up to 160 people to the scheme. This space will also be utilised by developing and delivering a programme of community engagement projects and exhibitions.

If you are a collector, a buyer or a philanthropist please register for the Three100 auction catalogue by emailing

We use cookies to allow us to improve your experience on our website and display relevant content and ads. View our cookie policy for more information.