The Future is Bright at The Geffrye!
In the third part of our series with The Geffrye Museum of the Home, we look to the future. The museum is currently undergoing major redevelopment work, which is set to transform the venue into a national and international destination.
The huge investment to make this work possible marks another bright new era for already thriving Hoxton, where our Hoxton Press development is located.
We found out more from the team about the redevelopment and what you can look forward to once the works are completed in 2020.
What is your ambition for The Geffrye Museum?
Our vision is to become the go-to place for anyone seeking ideas and inspiration on the universal subject of home.
We want to become an internationally known museum of the home: exploring home and home life – past, present and future.
To achieve this ambition, we have embarked on an £18.1 million capital development project, known as ‘Unlocking the Geffrye’.
So, what improvements can we expect to see following this redevelopment project?
The project will breathe new life into the museum’s Grade 1 listed buildings by opening them up and making much better use of spaces never seen by the public before. This will allow us to welcome 50% more visitors, expand our learning and events programmes, provide new facilities and display more collections.
Access and circulation throughout the museum and adjoining gardens will be greatly improved and the building will be strengthened and conserved for the future.
Here is what you can look forward to when we reopen in spring 2020:
· Enjoy 50% more space and two floors previously unseen by visitors;
· Explore hidden treasures and stories of home from our collections and archives in a new home gallery and library;
· Get creative within our new and inspiring learning spaces;
· A new entrance opposite Hoxton Station, which will lead into a spacious, central reception space with enhanced visitor facilities;
· Relax in our new café and terrace;
· Enjoy our period gardens and herb garden all year round.
If you’re looking to create your own story of home (#storiesofhome) in Hoxton, then check out our Hoxton Press development.
Meanwhile, whilst redevelopment works are taking place, check out some of the fantastic upcoming events at The Geffrye Museum!